Up next for Volunteer Appreciation Week, we have fellow educational nonprofit, Reading Partners. This incredible organization has been volunteering at the Charleston Marathon® Health and Wellness Expo for more than four years, consistently bringing over 50 individuals beaming with positive energy! For those of you who don’t know, the Charleston Marathon® is Engaging Creative Minds’ (ECM) largest annual fundraiser. The marathon is also our biggest need for volunteers, and having community partners helping us out makes our hearts swell!
“Cierra is an amazing leader and to my surprise, reached out to me about bringing volunteers to an aid station in addition to working the expo this past January. I love their passion and endless capacity for helping others and we look forward to working with them each year.” – Alicia Modoor
- What motivated Reading Partners to volunteer with ECM?
- Each year Reading Partners does a service project for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. We were motivated to volunteer with ECM because they are a great organization that partners with many of the same schools Reading Partners partners with. We like the fact that we are serving the same population of students and giving back to the community at the same time.
- What makes this volunteer experience a meaningful use of your time?
- This volunteer experience is meaningful to us because it is an opportunity to connect with the community and support a good cause, all while having fun.
- What is the biggest benefit Reading Partners receives as a volunteer with ECM?
- The biggest benefit Reading Partners receives as a volunteer with ECM is knowing we are part of the greater good and making a difference.
- What is the most memorable accomplishment and/or moment of your volunteer experience?
- We enjoy volunteering annually at the Charleston Marathon Health and Wellness Expo. Volunteering at the expo is memorable in itself. It is great to be in a room filled with people supporting a worthy cause. Our interaction with the runners makes volunteering a great experience.
- What have you learned from volunteering?
- Teamwork makes the dream work!